Blogroll

Friday, July 29, 2011

Your Child's Tooth Eruption: All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth!

My youngest son Liam has turned 1 year old, and he still doesn't have his two front teeth. Actually, I remember seeing him toothless during his 6-month phase and I was so worried because that was the perfect time to start him on solid food and being toothless made him choke on mashed food, leading to further frustration on his part.

At first I thought, "Is something wrong with my baby's gums"? Whenever I get the chance, I would run my finger through his gum line and feel if any tooth is erupting. He hates me for doing that, but I needed to feel assured that he'll have his teeth soon.

After several months, his two lower teeth came out, and then a few months after that, his two upper incisors erupted. But he still can't eat his food properly. Not having his front teeth makes the food go straight to his tongue. He really looks funny when he tries to push his food back to his teeth, so he could at least bite them. My son has a very cute habit of making faces when he's irritated or frustrated.

So, what's really the deal about our kids tooth eruption? Which tooth comes out first, and which one comes after?

As your child's tooth erupts, a watery sac may develop. This eruption cyst is usually harmless and is best left alone. As your child's tooth comes out, it pushes through the gum and eventually ruptures the sac.

Here is an average tooth eruption sequence of Baby Teeth/Primary Teeth in months after birth:




A teething child may experience the following symptoms:
  • Fussiness or irritability
  • Sleep problems
  • Urge to bite on hard objects
  • Refusing to eat food or drink milk
  • Excessive drooling, causing the appearance of a rash on the area of his/her face or chest
  • Sensitive and swelling gums
  • Rubbing of cheeks and ears
  • In rare cases, a low-grade fever
Symptoms that may develop during teething usually occur 3-4 days before the tooth erupts and up to three days after the tooth comes out. When in doubt, you may always consult your child's pediatrician or dentist to help determine whether your child's symptoms are still normal, or require an immediate attention.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More